Only students who have been recommended through the screening process and have submitted their application form and fees by the deadline may participate in the GSDSEF. No unregistered walk-ins will be permitted.
Setup Day- Tuesday, March 10th
- Students may set up projects (Backboards, Notebooks, Display items) anytime between 1pm and 7pm on Tuesday afternoon, March 12th at the Balboa Park Activity Center (BPAC), 2145 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101.
- Students must first go through a Size and Safety Check before being allowed to enter the BPAC. Students need to bring ALL materials (including the Project Notebook) required for their display on Tuesday as Judges enter the hall to preview notebooks and projects in advance. Equipment such as laptops and iPads need to go through the Size and Safety check-in Tuesday, get tagged, and may be brought back on Judging Day.
- Students need to bring a folding chair/camping chair labeled with their name ON TUESDAY (set-up day) to be used on Wednesday.
Judging Day- Wednesday, March 11th
- Students should arrive between 7:30 am and 7:50 am on Wednesday, March 11th at the Balboa Park Activity Center and be dropped off at the tent below the Balboa Park Activity Center. Judging will start at 8:15-8:30 and be done at approximately 2:45 pm. Remember to wear name badges!
- Students must bring their own lunches and water. Lunches must be clearly labeled and will be stored in a cool place until lunch time.
- Students will be dismissed beginning approximately 2:45 pm.
- During Judging, parents will not be allowed in the Judging Hall.
- For security and safety reasons, we request parents follow the traffic routes for drop off and pick up.
Traffic Routes for Judging Day- Wednesday, March 11th
- Because of the number of students, judges, and volunteers who arrive at Balboa Park at the same time (approximately 1000 cars between 7:30 and 8:00), we request that all parents follow the DROP OFF map and not park to accompany their child to the BPAC. Official parking passes for Judges and Volunteers are required in order to park at the BPAC in the morning. No copies will be accepted.
- Because over 600 students are dismissed at the same time, we request that parents follow the Pick Up protocol.
- The 2020 maps indicating traffic routes for Judging Day--both drop-off in the morning and pickup in the afternoon will be posted in early March. Parents will need to follow the indicated routes to facilitate drop-offs and pick-ups. Students should be dropped off between 7:10 am and 7:50 am and be picked up starting at 2:45 pm.
Awards Ceremony- Thursday, March 12th -
ALL STUDENTS RECEIVE A PLACE AWARD RIBBON ON STAGE!
The GSDSEF Awards Ceremony will be held at the San Diego Air & Space Museum in Balboa Park.
The San Diego Air & Space Museum exhibits hall will be open for free to all student exhibitors and their families starting at 3 pm.
Doors for the Awards Ceremony pavilion area will open at 5:30 pm. The Awards Ceremony begins at 6 pm and ends by approximately 8:30 pm. Parking at Balboa Park is free.
Public Viewing Days - Thursday, March 12 through Saturday, March 14, 2020.
Visitors are welcome to view the GSDSEF projects from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm on these days.
Family Science Day and Public Viewing Day - Sunday, March 15th, 2020
Public Viewing from 10 am to 3 pm.
For all ages: Participate in fun science activities on Sunday, March 15th from 10:00 am to 3 pm. Win a prize at the Science Fair Scavenger Hunt!
Project Removal on Sunday, March 15th, 2020
- Project Take Down begins at 3 pm. Projects may NOT be removed from the tables before 3 pm. When Student Exhibitors applied to participate in the GSDSEF, they signed an agreement to not remove their project before 3 pm on Sunday. There are NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Student Exhibitors must bring their Student Exhibitor Name Badge to remove their project.
- If a Student Exhibitor is unable to take their own project on Sunday, he/she may send a representative (family member, teacher, friend, etc.). That person must bring that student's Exhibitor badge or a note authorizing he/she has permission to remove the project. The representative will be signing off that they picked up that Student Exhibitor's project.
- At 4 pm any project still on tables will be stacked along the BPAC walls for pick up.
- Projects not picked up by 6 pm, will be discarded. as there is no storage available.
We look forward to seeing your students at the 2020 GSDSEF!